Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Kichari

Kichari loves me and I am learning to love it. Even though it feels like winter comfort food, I am enjoying it this summer. Since adding it to my diet, my digestion has calmed way down...I guess I am building Agni and clearing Ama... who knew??? It needs another spice to make it more flavorful for me...can't decide what that should be...seems like more salt, but I don't like to salt my food (even with good celtic salt). Here's my recipe....what do you add? what would you suggest? What do you serve with Kichari?

3/4 C Basmati rice  rinsed several times
1/2 C split moong bean rinsed several times
1/2 tsp ghee
1 tsp cumin seed
1/4 tsp hing
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chp fresh ginger
4 cups water
1 zucchini sliced thin
1 yellow squash, sliced thin
1 tsp ghee

Over medium heat, place ghee in pan. Add cumin. Stir til seeds pop. Add ginger and saute. Add rice, beans, tumeric, salt, and water. Bring to boil using high heat. When it reaches a boil, lower heat to low and cover pan. Let cook for 30 minutes.  While this is cooking saute zuchinni and squash in 1 tsp ghee. Turn off heat of rice and bean mixture and let sit for about 5 minutes.  Then add sauteed zucchini and yellow squash.
It freezes well too.

Have a creative time discovering the joys of kichari!

Namaste,
Janis

No comments:

Post a Comment